With the collapse of the government, the declaration of Shariah law, the expansion of extremism, food shortages and the raging pandemic, Afghanistan needs urgent prayer from the global Church right now, more than ever.
Here are 5 ways you can pray for Afghanistan
- Please pray for the small group of believers in the country. They are walking on eggshells and are uncertain who to trust. Pray specifically for those whose faith is known in their communities. Pray that they find strength, wisdom and supernatural peace in God’s promises.
- Pray for the displaced. A new wave of refugees is expected to come from Afghanistan to many parts of the Middle East and the rest of the world. Pray for God’s protection and provision over them in their journeys.
- Pray for the women. Many women fear that Taliban rule means they will be stripped of opportunities for education. Women involved in education during the past years could also be at risk—pray for their protection.
- Pray for the sick. Though under-reported in international media, COVID-19 cases are spiking in the country and hospitals are limited in what they can offer. There is no certainty as to how the healthcare system will be able to sustain itself with the new Taliban government. Pray that the healthcare system will not collapse.
- Pray that the country will not be a haven for extremists. The Taliban government of 20 years ago are known enablers of extremist Islamic organizations. With their newfound control over Afghanistan, the country could be host to a new generation of terror groups.
Stand with secret believers in Afghanistan
Now more than ever, our brothers and sisters need our faithful prayers.
You can organize a prayer time in your own bible study/discipleship groups, churches, and gatherings. We've prepared some materials that may help you.