2019 WORLD WATCH LIST NO. 4LIBYA
World Watch List:04
Leader:Aguila Saleh Issa (Chief of State)
Source of Persecution:Islamic Oppression
Ever since Muammar Gaddafi was ousted in 2011 in the Arab Spring, Libya has become a failed state in which different militant groups control different parts of the country and fight for supremacy. They are responsible for most of the violence against Christians and act with absolute impunity as there isn’t a single government to impose any semblance of law and order in the country.
Small but growing
Deeply Islamic and conservative, all Libyans are by default Muslim. There is only a very small group of Libyan nationals who are Christians, and they keep their faith an absolute secret. They do not dare to meet with other believers and continue to adhere to Islamic customs like fasting during Ramadan.
In recent years, the appearance of Christian programs on satellite TV and Christian websites in Arabic has caused an increase in interest in the Christian faith. But it is strictly forbidden to bring in Christian literature and Bibles in Arabic, and evangelizing Muslims is prohibited.
Migrant workers not spared
There is a sizeable group of Christian migrant workers, mostly from Sub-Saharan Africa, trying to reach Europe from Libya. They are allowed to have their own churches, but they find that they also have to hide their Christian identity if they do not want to be discriminated against, abused or even killed.
OPEN DOORS IN LIBYA
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors supports the Persecuted Church in Libya through:
• Christian literature distribution
• Socio-economic development
• That God would disrupt the plans of the Islamic militant groups in Libya to show them his mercy, grace, and sovereignty over all.
• For the growing church in Libya, especially those who are isolated from other believers.
• That many will hear the gospel through satellite TV and web broadcasts. Pray for new believers, for their protection and for possibilities to grow in faith.