2020 WORLD WATCH LIST #4LIBYA
2020 WORLD WATCH LIST RANK: 4
LEADER: Aguila Saleh Issa (Chief of State)
POPULATION: 6.5 million
CHRISTIAN POPULATION: 36,200
MAIN RELIGION: Islam
PERSECUTION LEVEL: Extreme
PERSECUTION SOURCE: Islamic Oppression
In cooperation with local partners and churches, Open Doors supports the persecuted church in Libya through:
• Christian literature distribution
• Socio-economic development
Attacked with impunity
In Libya, there is no freedom of speech, no equal treatment of Christians, no recognition of the church, and no churches can be built. Since the downfall of Gaddafi in 2011, various militant Islamic groups have taken control of different parts of the country, vying for supremacy with each other. The lack of a central and stable government means that Christians are attacked and killed with impunity, especially in cases of ‘honor killings’ by family members.
Always at risk
The indigenous church is very small, and it is made up of converts from Islam. They rarely meet together as any kind of religious gathering other than Islamic is forbidden. Libyan Christians must keep their faith completely secret. Christians who publicly express their faith and try to share the Christian faith with others face the risk of arrest and violence at the hands of their families, communities or violent Islamic militants.
Christian migrant workers make up majority of the Christian population in Libya. They are allowed to meet together to worship in Libya, but are always at risk of attack by Islamic militants, and face discrimination from the Libyan society.
• That Christian migrant workers will not give up meeting together, and that God will protect and bless their meetings.
• For a softening of hearts of Libyans towards Christ and His followers, and that many in the country will accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
• That Christians in Libya will continue to share their faith with others courageously, even though there are dire consequences when they do so.