2019 WORLD WATCH LIST NO. 6SUDAN
World Watch List:06
Leader:President Umar Hasson Ahmad al-Bashir
Source of Persecution:Islamic Oppression
Make Sudan an Islamic State
For many years, the Sudanese government has been working towards making Sudan an Islamic state. It also seeks to remain in power at all costs. As it views Christians as agents of the West, the regime is trying to rid the country of them. It arrests Christians who proselytize, as well as those who converted from Islam. It has also been closing and demolishing churches all over the country.
Conversion punishable by death
Believers from a Muslim background face the greatest persecution in Sudan as converting to another religion from Islam is punishable by death. They avoid owning Christian materials or even accessing Christian TV channels or information on the Internet, so that there is no proof their conversion. These believers also face severe opposition from their families and community.
The ongoing fighting in the Nuba Mountains and Blue Nile regions has already taken thousands of civilian lives, many of which are Christian. The Sudanese government claims that it is fighting against alleged rebels, but experts say that it is in fact cleansing the area of minority ethnic groups that have a different religion from them – Christianity.
OPEN DOORS IN SUDAN
In cooperation with local churches and partners, Open Doors supports the Persecuted Church in Sudan through:
• Discipleship training
• Trauma counselling
• Theological training
• Community development projects
• Christian literature distribution
• For protection over the Christians in Sudan, and also for opportunities to fellowship with other believers.
• For church leaders to be able to stand strong amidst the pressure placed on their shoulders to lead their churches in the face of persecution from the regime and Islamic extremists.
• That God will work in the hearts of the Sudanese leaders, and that the Holy Spirit will convict them to bring justice and peace to the country.